Saturday, June 25, 2011

Father knows best: Advice from MMA’s dads

Fathers are known to dispense advice, so in honor of Father's Day, Cagewriter collected some of the best advice given to the MMA world.

Daniel Cormier, Strikeforce heavyweight: "My father died when I was seven, but the man who raised me, Percy Benoit, told me to work hard, you're a good person and good things will come to you."

Joe Lauzon, UFC lightweight:" My father was huge with 'Don't put off tomorrow what you can do today.' My dad has always hustled... no matter how well he did something, there was always room for improvement and he was going to squeeze out every ounce of improvement in everything he did."

Dan Henderson, Strikeforce light heavyweight champ: "My dad was my wrestling coach for most of my life, and then when I started MMA, he didn't know too much about it. But he'd watch my fights on TV, and I was fairly new in the sport, and he'd always have some sort of critique, even though he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Even if I knocked the guy out, he'd say, 'It seems like he's hitting you an awful lot. Maybe you ought to move your head a bit.'"

Scott Coker, Strikeforce CEO: "My dad knew I loved martial arts, and he said find a way to make that your career, as you get older, because then you'll love it, and you won't have to feel like you're going to work. Find something that you love to do."

Sam Stout, UFC lightweight: "My dad's give me tons of good advice in my life. He's the one who taught me to work for what I believe in. He's a very motivated guy. He's the one who taught me to stick up for myself. He's the one who put me into sports and encourage me to play."

Aaron Simpson, UFC middleweight: "If you want to continue to be great at something, never be satisfied. He told me this after I won state my freshman year of high school."

A very Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, especially my father, who gave me the advice to not let idiots get in the way of my dreams. Thanks, Dad.

Picture from Combat Lifestyle

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Father-knows-best-Advice-from-MMA-s-dads?urn=mma-wp3625

mma video mma videos mma vs muay thai fights Texas A&M Aggies Arkansas Razorbacks

No comments:

Post a Comment