Monday, October 17, 2011

The agony of defeat: Florian and Maynard both down in the dumps, but with different look on future

The agony of defeat: Florian and Maynard both down in the dumps, but with different look on future

Fans don't often get to see the other side of fight night, the aftermath for the loser. Weeks, if not months of training is spoiled and then 30 minutes later, the fighter has to face the music with the media.

The postfight press conference for UFC 136 reminded us once again just how devastating a loss can be. Gray Maynard and Kenny Florian sat there for 45 minutes and spoke in somber tones.

Maynard vowed to fight on while Florian didn't seem very sure of what was next.

The 35-year-old alum of Season 1 of� "The Ultimate Fighter" released a statement yesterday making it sound like he needs a lot of time off to either re-ignite his passion and decide to walk away.

"I am passionate about mixed martial arts, and I love being involved in this sport. It is incredible to see how much MMA has grown and that, today, there are millions of people who enjoy the UFC as much as I do," Florian said.

"Second, everyone is asking what is next for me. The only response I can give right now is that I'm going to take some time. I want to rest, spend some time with my family and friends, and then evaluate all of my options. I'll speak with Dana, and my manager, Glenn Robinson, and we will figure out my next move. When I make that decision, my fans will be the first to know.� One way or another, you haven't seen the last of Ken-Flo!"

Saturday night was the first time Maynard officially felt the sting of losing in the UFC. While incredibly down, he made it clear that he'll be back in the gym in an effort to get back near the top.

"He hit me on the button. That hasn't ever happened to me. Even in the gym," Maynard said. "I'm down, but I'm not out. I'm going to climb the ladder. I know it might take a while, but that's me. That just who I am. I'm going to show everybody I can still do it. I got heart. I'm not going to quit."

Maynard is still in the mix for the UFC lightweight title. He's 1-1-1 against the champion Frank Edgar. Edgar's future is filled with peril at 155 pounds. He'll likely defend next against Gilbert Melendez or thewinner of Ben Henderson-Clay Guida. Maynard could be matched up against Melvin Guillard, Anthony Pettis, Matt Wiman, Denis Siver or Jim Miller.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/The-agony-of-defeat-Florian-and-Maynard-both-do?urn=mma-wp8087

georges st. pierre gracie inside mma joe riggs jon fitch ken shamrock

No comments:

Post a Comment