Friday, January 28, 2011

Jeff Fisher at Departure News Conference: 'I Think I'm Tired, I Need to Rest'

Filed under: ,

Jeff Fisher didn't get much into specifics on Friday. Neither did the Tennessee Titans.

But what Fisher did say at a Friday news conference to discuss his departure from the team Thursday after 16 full seasons as the Titans' head coach, was that more than anything, the reason for the surprising move was simple.

It was time.

"It is hard for me to stand here and imagine that 17 years later it has come to this,'' Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean reported Fisher as saying. "I never imagined doing this as long as I have done it. I owe nothing but gratitude and thanks ... for this incredible journey.

"I have been blessed to be associated with one of the best franchises in the National Football League for this long. But as they say, all good things come to an end. I have a great feel of personal peace with this resolution.''

Fisher, who took over as interim coach in 1994, became the full-time coach the following season. He went 142-120 during his tenure, and coached the Titans to the Super Bowl following the 1999 season.

"I think I'm tired," Fisher said. "I need to rest."

Wyatt reported that Fisher, General Manager Mike Reinfeldt and Executive Vice President Steve Underwood declined to discuss specifics regarding the move.

"We had some differences,'' Underwood said. "And the differences that we had were obvious."

Owner Bud Adams spoke at the news conference via telephone.

"It's a very tough day for this franchise," Adams said. "Jeff meant a great deal to this team and I appreciate all that he has done for us,'' Adams said. "Unfortunately, organizations and coaches almost always reach a point where it is time for a change and this is where we are.

"This isn't personal, and I believe both the team and Jeff will benefit in the long run from this move. I am still confident about our future. I continue to have high hopes about our team.''

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/28/jeff-fisher-at-departure-news-conference-i-think-im-tired-i/

Philadelphia Eagles Washington Redskins New York Jets New England Patriots Denver Broncos Arizona Cardinals

No comments:

Post a Comment